Thursday, December 3, 2009

One-sided Story

So I spoke about this article in my presentation for my final paper on abortion coverage in the media and I was so surprised by this article that I wanted to write about it further here. The article is by David D. Kirkpatrick of The New York Times and it is called, Health Bill Revives Abortion Groups.
The headline of the article says "Feeling a threat from proposed legislation, both sides are mobilizing supporters like they haven’t in years." A huge problem I found with this article is that it is mostly about the pro-abortion side and what they are doing to fight for their cause. There are at best, two to three sentences about anti-abortionists and every link within the story is to a pro-choice website or directing readers to pro-choice petitions to be signed that will be sent to legislators.
I, personally am pro-choice, but this article still disturbed me. I believe in a journalist's fundamental responsibility to unbiased reporting and this article is in complete violation of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment